Ron Paul (R) and Barney Frank (D) ally together to attack the practical hurdles of the federal law, known as the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act, rather than its legitimacy.

No Gravatar

Via Nolan Chart, The Hill.

The bankers‘- association cheers, but I see many lobbies (including the NFL) that prefer the status quo.

-

Related Posts

12 thoughts on “Ron Paul (R) and Barney Frank (D) ally together to attack the practical hurdles of the federal law, known as the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act, rather than its legitimacy.

  1. Daniel Horowitz said:

    The NFL is already maximizing its positive externalities due to gambling. Betting lines are published in nearly every newspaper. Office pools and neighborhood bookies are ubiquitous.

    If online gambling were legalized, some of the external benefits currently enjoyed by the NFL would be shifted to other sports.

  2. Jennifer said:

    This new bill from our good friends Reps. Paul and Frank, the one that simply makes the UIGEA go away is the greatest piece of legislation yet on the subject. Sadly, very few poker players are jumping up and down about this. This new bill would save us from burdensome regulation and taxes and bring online poker back to the “good ole days”. Why aren’t more people screaming for this version to pass.

    Consistently, when I see an article about the new bill (that fixes all the government intrusion of the old bill) they lump it together with bills that would tax the poker player out of business. We should all be pushing as hard as we can for this new bill and throw the rest in the trash.

    The last thing any poker player with an understanding of economics would ever want is a bill that taxes and regulates online gaming. The power to regulate is the power to destroy. It always has been. If we are to save the industry, there is only one answer to the UIGEA – eradicate it completely. The last thing any of us want is a precedent out there that the U. S. government has the right to tax, oversee and regulate internet sites. They are trying to get a foothold on the entire Internet and we must stop it in all forms.

    Any organization that supports any other bills (such as the ones that tax and regulate online gaming) is no friend to the online gambler. Instead, they are clearly in the pocket of big Nevada gaming outlets that wish to clear the field of competition and take over the entire industry for themselves. With billions of dollars at stake, one can hardly blame them for trying, but we certainly do not have to hand them the bullets to shoot us with.

    We now have a brilliant and safe bill to support. One without controversy. One without nasty side effects. Please call your congressmen and ask them to support the newest bill by Paul and Frank :

    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/…..:H.R.5767::

    While you are at it, demand that the poker player’s alliance support this and only this bill to protect us all from the ravages of government. Also demand that they stop supporting the IGREA – the earlier attempt by Frank that was plagued with licensing requirements and draconian taxation methods. For those of you that wish to pay additional taxes to the Federal Government – feel free.

  3. Jennifer said:

    Sorry all, I can’t seem to get that link to work properly. 

    Perhaps if I type it in by hand:

    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/…..0:H.R.5767.   If that doesn’t work, and they truncate my link again, after the cgi-bin/ type in “query/z?c110″  that is what is missing from the ellipses. 

  4. Chris F. Masse said:

    @Jennifer: Your link is truncated by purpose. Otherwise, it is too long. But it works nevertheless, don’t worry. Thanks for your comment.

  5. A libertarian view on the Internet betting and gambling industry in the United States of America | Midas Oracle .ORG said:

    [...] Jennifer: [...]

  6. Daniel Horowitz said:

    The NFL is already maximizing its positive externalities due to gambling. Betting lines are published in nearly every newspaper. Office pools and neighborhood bookies are ubiquitous.

    If online gambling were legalized, some of the external benefits currently enjoyed by the NFL would be shifted to other sports.

  7. Jennifer said:

    This new bill from our good friends Reps. Paul and Frank, the one that simply makes the UIGEA go away is the greatest piece of legislation yet on the subject. Sadly, very few poker players are jumping up and down about this. This new bill would save us from burdensome regulation and taxes and bring online poker back to the “good ole days”. Why aren’t more people screaming for this version to pass.

    Consistently, when I see an article about the new bill (that fixes all the government intrusion of the old bill) they lump it together with bills that would tax the poker player out of business. We should all be pushing as hard as we can for this new bill and throw the rest in the trash.

    The last thing any poker player with an understanding of economics would ever want is a bill that taxes and regulates online gaming. The power to regulate is the power to destroy. It always has been. If we are to save the industry, there is only one answer to the UIGEA – eradicate it completely. The last thing any of us want is a precedent out there that the U. S. government has the right to tax, oversee and regulate internet sites. They are trying to get a foothold on the entire Internet and we must stop it in all forms.

    Any organization that supports any other bills (such as the ones that tax and regulate online gaming) is no friend to the online gambler. Instead, they are clearly in the pocket of big Nevada gaming outlets that wish to clear the field of competition and take over the entire industry for themselves. With billions of dollars at stake, one can hardly blame them for trying, but we certainly do not have to hand them the bullets to shoot us with.

    We now have a brilliant and safe bill to support. One without controversy. One without nasty side effects. Please call your congressmen and ask them to support the newest bill by Paul and Frank :

    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/…..:H.R.5767::

    While you are at it, demand that the poker player’s alliance support this and only this bill to protect us all from the ravages of government. Also demand that they stop supporting the IGREA – the earlier attempt by Frank that was plagued with licensing requirements and draconian taxation methods. For those of you that wish to pay additional taxes to the Federal Government – feel free.

  8. Jennifer said:

    Sorry all, I can’t seem to get that link to work properly. 

    Perhaps if I type it in by hand:

    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/…..0:H.R.5767.   If that doesn’t work, and they truncate my link again, after the cgi-bin/ type in “query/z?c110″  that is what is missing from the ellipses. 

  9. Chris F. Masse said:

    @Jennifer: Your link is truncated by purpose. Otherwise, it is too long. But it works nevertheless, don’t worry. Thanks for your comment.

  10. A libertarian view on the Internet betting and gambling industry in the United States of America | Midas Oracle .ORG said:

    [...] Jennifer: [...]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>