Via Steve Roman, The Atlanta Journal – Constitution:
[…-] Atlanta hair salon owners Ray Luciano and Spencer Malay recently reeled in a bundle — tens of thousands of dollars — after taking out insurance-like coverage called “-weather derivatives.”- Their Buckhead salon does well when it rains, drawing walk-ins and overflow from the nearby mall and movie theater. “-If it’-s a sunny day, they [shoppers] tend to do outside stuff, not go to the movies, not go shopping, not get their hair done,”- Luciano said. […-] In the last nine months, the owners at Spencer Malay Hair have taken out four contracts, and Lady Luck has smiled on them three times. The most recent was for the holiday season between mid-November and just before Christmas. “-We put a dry-season contract on it because we hired a couple of new stylists,”- Luciano said. The proceeds, which he declined to talk about in detail, allowed them to “-pay our staff while business was not as good as good as it could have been.”- […-]
Previously: Eric Zitzewitz on WeatherBill
Read the previous blog posts by Chris. F. Masse:
- Davos – World Economic Forum
- CME Group = Chicago Mercantile Exchange + Chicago Board Of Trade
- Democratic and Republican caucuses in Nevada + Republican primary in South Carolina
- The BetFair blog is not a serious publication.
- MICHIGAN PRIMARY @ BETFAIR: Niall O’Connor asks the very pertinent question.
- One thing John Delaney and his Irish employees at InTrade-TradeSports can learn from the BetFair-TradeFair folks at HammerSmith.
- BetFair compound chart on the Michigan primary