Did we suspect an innocent??
Bet scandal worries Davydenko
RUSSIAN Nikolay Davydenko is worried his reputation will suffer after becoming embroiled in a betting controversy. Davydenko retired with a foot injury in the third set of his match with Argentine Martin Vasallo Arguello at the ATP event in Sopot, Poland, last week, only to find the match was at the centre of a betting scandal. “-It’-s so surprising,”- Davydenko said in Montreal, where he is competing in the Masters Series tournament. “-Like, who can know that I can be injured and (would) retire in my match? “-I am disappointed, because I’-m a top player and people are talking (about it) not only in Russia, in my country, (but) also talking everywhere in the world. “-It is pretty tough for me, I get more pressure now. Mentally, it’-s pretty tough.”- British betting exchange Betfair voided all bets on the match, saying $8.55 million had been placed on it, more than twice the usual amount. Though world No. 5 Davydenko won the first set, Vasallo Arguello —- ranked about 80 places lower —- became the favourite, the opposite of normal practice in such a situation. Betfair voided all bets and notified the governing body of men’-s tennis, the ATP. Davydenko said he was not in contact with anyone regarding the throwing of a match. “-I play 30 tournaments in a year,”- he said. “-Last year I lost 10 tournaments in the first round and also sometimes I’-m injured and I retire from a match.”-
Previous: CORRUPTION IN TENNIS: the Nikolay Davydenko vs. Vassallo Arguello prediction markets at BetFair
More info from The Guardian
NEXT: BetFair has an anti-fraud team whereas InTrade-TradeSports has none.
Read the previous blog posts by Chris F. Masse:
- Terrorism Futures
- InTrade-TradeSports and BetFair-TradeFair should take a close look at Cantor Fitzgerald’s strategy to gain a share of the $100 billion U.S. gambling industry.
- The secrecy-seeking Mark Davies is solely to blame for all this mess… but this vibrating BetFair spin doctor has managed to repair the PR damages quite brillantly, it shall be said.
- A Betting Exchange = A Bookmaker —> !??
- BetFair’s new bet matching logic + BetFair Malta’s trading on the multiples
- Dick Cheney, the new Churchill?
- BetFair Malta’s combo market maker (trading algorithm + human market makers) operating on the multiples